Can you believe that it is August? Can you believe there is a National Sandwich Month?
With kids heading back to school, schedules get hectic! A perfect time to have a little breakfast fun.
We know that starting the day with breakfast is important for a variety of reasons. Why not use breakfast as a way to celebrate national sandwich month? Egg sandwiches are an opportunity to use MyPlate in a new way and start the day right. Make breakfast sandwiches at home with the flexibility of choosing your own ingredients and saving money.
- Veggies are often forgotten at breakfast, but they add taste and nutrition to your sandwich. Sautee spinach, mushrooms, peppers, onions and tomato slices and more. The options are endless.
- Think portion size. Many companies now offer “thins” or smaller versions of whole wheat grains for proper portion control. Small whole wheat or corn tortillas work well too.
- If you choose loaf bread or a roll, consider having an open-faced sandwich or cut the sandwich in half.
- If you add meat sources, keep them lean.
- Add dairy– put low-fat cheese on the sandwich or have a glass of low-fat milk for added protein.
- Pair with a piece of fruit and you have a great meal covering all food groups.
- Have fun-recreate your favorite restaurant sandwiches at home.
Check out this recipe that uses summer tomatoes and basil along with eggs.