Are you or your clients participating in Meatless Monday? It can be tricky for some individuals to redesign their plate and get a balanced, protein-rich meal. However, eggs pair well with many different foods, making it easy to create simple, affordable meals for any time of day.
Idea # 1 Family Fun: Meatless Monday can be a great time to have breakfast at dinner, especially if a family might need help “getting in the groove” of trying meatless meals. Some nutritious examples include:
- Whole wheat pancakes or waffles topped with fruit and a glass of skim milk on the side
- Omelet or burrito station with different veggies and cheese – get the kids involved to make meal preparation fun for all!
Idea # 2 Busy Monday: The great news is that many egg dishes can be made the night before and cooked the next day, saving time and energy.
- Here are a few recipes (several meatless) that you can easily make ahead.
- Make Monday dinner and have more to eat the rest of the week-casseroles reheat well, as do these Muffin Fritattas. You could even make these Sunday and have them reheated on Monday!
- Keep hard-boiled eggs on hand for a quick snack or addition to a salad.
Need More Ideas:
Check out @IncredibleEggs on Twitter and Facebook-for a variety of great recipes , including this Mushroom and Spinach Frittata and Quinoa Egg Bake with Thyme and Garlic. I personally made this one for dinner (took a larger piece than the breakfast portion and added some fruit on the side). Delish!
Egg Nutrition Center teamed up with our friends at the Produce for Better Health Foundation (PBH)/Fruits and Veggies More Matters to create this recipe for Herbed Spinach Quiche Portabella Caps (pictured above). By pairing eggs with other nutrient-rich foods, it’s easy to build a well-balanced and colorful plate.
Do you have any favorite vegetarian egg dishes you recommend for your clients?