Are you in need of a makeover? Instead of updating your wardrobe or hair color, consider a look that features olive oil, salmon and legumes. May is Mediterranean Diet month, and healthy lifestyle choices are on trend. Continue reading “A Mediterranean Makeover”
Eggs contain many important nutrients. From our brain to our bones, the impact of these nutrients are wide-ranging. Learn how the nutrient package of eggs can benefit the body:
1. Brain Function: One large egg is an excellent source of choline – an essential nutrient critical for fetal brain development and brain function. Eating eggs may also be associated with improved cognitive performance in adults.1
2. Eye Health: Lutein and zeaxanthin are antioxidants found in egg yolks that can promote eye health, especially as we get older.2 Continue reading “A Dozen Ways Egg Nutrients Benefit the Body”
Do you have leftover hard-boiled eggs from a family Easter egg hunt? Don’t let them go to waste! Hard-boiled eggs can last up to one week in the refrigerator, unpeeled, and make for an easy weekday snack or meal topper. Continue reading “Hard-Boiled Hacks”
Nutrition is an important aspect in athletic performance. While formal recovery nutrition is likely unnecessary for the majority of recreational athletes, some considerations for post-exercise consumption include: Continue reading “Optimal Recovery Nutrition for Recreational Athletes”
1. USDA ARS, Nutrient Data Laboratory. USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 28.
2. Campbell B et al. International society of sports nutrition position stand: protein and exercise. J Int Soc Sport Nutr. 2007;4:8
3. Vishwanathan R, Goodrow-Kotyla EF, Wooten BR, Wilson TA, Nicolosi RJ. Consumption of 2 and 4 egg yolks/d for 5 wk increases macular pigment concentrations in older adults with low macular pigment taking cholesterol-lowering statins. Am J Clin Nutr 2009;90:1272-9.
4. Egg Nutrition Center. 2016 Health Professional Tracking Survey: http://www.eggnutritioncenter.org/content/uploads/2017/03/2016-HP-Tracking-Survey-Recap_web.pdf