The 2015 Dietary Guidelines for Americans (DGAs) suggests a Healthy Mediterranean-Style Eating Pattern as one option to meet the key recommendation to “consume a healthy eating pattern that accounts for all foods and beverages within an appropriate calorie level.”
Oldways, a nonprofit food and nutrition education organization, defines traditional Mediterranean meals as featuring foods grown all around the Mediterranean Sea and enjoyed along with lifestyle factors typical of the region. The Egg Nutrition Center is a proud member of the Mediterranean Foods Alliance (MFA) an Oldways program that helps people discover Mediterranean foods and flavors.
Every other Friday, the MFA publishes their Fresh Fridays e-newsletter that focuses on various topics related to the Mediterranean Diet and includes a handful of relevant recipes in each issue. The theme of today’s Fresh Fridays is Mediterranean Rice and features ENC’s recipe for Chicken and Vegetable Un-fried Rice.
This nutrient dense, one-pan meal pairs eggs with whole grain brown rice, lean meat (optional) and loads of fresh vegetables. It is also a great way to use up leftovers, making this already affordable dish even more economical. Sign up for the Fresh Fridays e-mails at the link provided above and watch for ENC’s next featured recipe in the May 27th issue themed “Splurging on Spices”.
Chicken & Egg With Unfried Brown Rice
This recipe can be made with or without leftovers. It is an easy and fast way to turn leftover poultry, vegetables, and rice into a new meal.
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
½ pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into ¼-inch slices
¼ cup sliced green onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups mixed vegetables (such as sliced carrots, broccoli florets, bell pepper strips, pea pods, and/or sliced cabbage)
2 tablespoons water
2 cups cooked brown rice, warm
⅓ cup chopped fresh basil or cilantro (optional)
¼ cup prepared orange ginger or classic stir-fry sauce
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skilled over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken strips. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes until the chicken is browned (or until the chicken or turkey is hot if you are using leftover poultry). Remove and set aside.
- Add green onions and garlic to the skillet. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add vegetables. Cook and stir until the vegetables are crisp tender, about 3 to 4 minutes (or until they are heated through if you are using leftover vegetables). Remove and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Beat the eggs and water together. Pour the eggs into the skillet. As the eggs begin to set, gently pull the eggs across the pan. Continue cooking until the eggs are thickened and no visible liquid egg remains. Do not stir constantly.
- Add the brown rice, basil, stir-fry sauce, reserved chicken and vegetables to the skillet. Stir to combine. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through.
– To use up leftovers from a previous meal use cooked chicken or turkey in place of the raw chicken breast and use whatever cooked vegetables you have on hand.
– For Vegetable and Egg Unfried Brown Rice simply delete the chicken and proceed with the rest of the recipe.
Nutritional Analysis: 320 Calories; 10g Fat; 2g Saturated Fat; 275mg Sodium; 33g Carbohydrate; 4g Fiber; 23g Protein.
Yield: 4 Servings